Highlands Physicians Incorporated (HPI) is a clinically integrated independent practice association using a collaborative model to provide coordinated medical care to the residents of Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia. The organization is designed to serve two key roles:
Facilitate the consultation and cooperation of our members so that their expertise in various areas of medicine is provided in a coherent and seamless manner to their patients; perform management services for those physicians who are part of the HPI network.
HPI fulfills these roles – in part – by providing the following services:
- Providing and implementing a clinical integration program
- Recruiting of physicians and other healthcare providers to the network;
- Contracting with healthcare providers and payors;
- Managing contracts on behalf of healthcare providers;
- Providing network management, quality assurance and utilization review;
- Credentialing physicians and other healthcare providers.
HPI supports our patients, and network of providers by establishing commercial relationships with insurance companies, other payors and managed care organizations. Our participating providers are not required to contract with insurance companies, other payors and managed care organizations exclusively through us, but can enter into these contracts individually or through their practices or other groups.